March 24, 2009

This '25 Things' malarky had been doing the rounds on Facebook for a while. Over the course of a few long bus rides to and from work, I came up with my list. I enjoyed the process of toying with memories, deciding which were actually about me and which were things that just happened to, or around, me. It seems kind of bloggy, so am posting. Enjoy.

25 Things

1. My initials spell DMB, something my friend MBD finds hilarious

2. I’m number 3 of 4 siblings, and have sandwich syndrome, i.e. - i think i’m Nutella.

3. I love Nutella

4. I used to waste my birthday-cake wishes on cute boyfriends and being skinny, now I wish for financial stability and a 2-state solution.

5. My Dad records my favourite TV shows from England and sends them out to Israel for me, and my Mum sends us each a Valentines Day card every year, without fail. I know parents are meant to love unconditionally, but the little stuff lets me know they mean it.

6. I actually believe in the god-like power of a strong cup of Tetleys

7. The first boy I ever loved was called Josh

8. The last boy I loved ... was quite a while ago, and ate too much falafel.

9. I lived in Japan for three years but didn’t try squid or fried locusts, despite their supermarket availability. I do know how to bow really nicely though.

10. If Sweet Valley was my life, I would be Elizabeth...always secretly hoping to morph into Jessica.

11. The bedroom mirror is my ally, the hallway mirror can suck it

12. In my dream grown-up house, I have a library with floor-to-ceiling books that requires a ladder on wheels to get to the ones at the top

13. I will happily watch The Wizard of Oz over and over, without shame or biscuit breaks

14. I love and adore my nephews and neice equally, they are all fantastic and beautiful.

15. My secret favourite is Jack. I would buy him if I could.

16. Strange, well-written books are my happy place; sometimes I disappear inside them and need a friend to pull me out.

17. Four different driving instructors, no license yet.

18. One Shabbat afternoon, I stuck purple tissue paper up my little brother’s nose and then panicked when it wouldn’t come out, and cried.

19. I am a Lorelai, not a Rory

20. Maths homework used to make me hyperventilate, until I discovered Counting Crows

21. I don’t like when diet coke fizzes up my nose, it makes me think of swimming lessons and learning to put my face in the water.

22. My hands are tiny and plump, like my Bobba... and her hands

23. I want to spend a year in Amsterdam, ringing my bicycle bell, eating cheese and learning to play piano in someone's loft.

24. I saw Dirty Dancing too young. I didn’t know Penny needed an abortion, I thought someone had ruined her dress and Robbie wouldn’t buy her a new one.

25. If life hands you lemons, you should indeed go make lemonade. But my parents taught me to add the metaphorical sugar; otherwise it just tastes disgusting.

No comments: